We’ve all probably heard to some degree that nature and time in nature is good for us. But we may not realize just how good nature truly is for our psyche and physical state of being. Every time you are in nature you benefit in a multitude of wellness areas. Regularly spent time in nature has profound benefits for every part of our physical, mental, emotional, social and psychological well-being. Here are 62 reasons to inspire and motivate you to make time spent in nature a priority in your life for personal healing and evolution.
How you experience each of the below mentioned benefits will depend on a variety of factors. Some of these benefits will be easily noticeable, or even profound and create drastic shifts in your life. Others will be subtle and often go unnoticed. All of them are experiential, but not every person may be open to receiving or experiencing them. Some have also been studied scientifically and shared via empirical evidence, or written about in entire books. Nature always offers each of us vast potential, but it is up to us to allow it to be made manifest.
- Naturally aligns the mind, body and spirit.
- Offers a connection to spirit.
- Offers a connection to soul.
- Fosters reverence for all life.
- Strengthens our energetic coherence.
- Uplifts our spirits and improves our mood.
- Fosters our sense of wonder and awe.
- Enhances sleep quality and quantity.
- Helps enhance our self-confidence.
- Helps improve our self-discipline.
- Enhances creativity.
- Fosters inner peace.
- Calms the mind.
- Deepens our sense of community and belonging.
- Cultivates a natural sense of appreciation.
- Inspires gratitude.
- Gives us a sense of being connected to a larger whole.
- Improves overall physical health.
- Reduces feelings of depression.
- Improves levels of happiness.
- Enhances energy and vitality.
- Decreases feelings of stress.
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, and triggers the relaxation response.
- Reduces pain and inflammation, especially when contact with Earth is direct.
- Reduces stress hormone circulation.
- Reduces and normalizes blood pressure.
- Reduces anger and aggression.
- Reduces worry and anxiety.
- Improves overall mental health.
- Offers enhanced healing and recovery benefits.
- Is mentally and emotionally restorative.
- Improves focus and concentration.
- Reduces hyperactive behavior.
- Improves our sense of compassion.
- Strengthens our sense of meaning and purpose.
- Helps us understand the bigger picture of life.
- Fosters selflessness and altruism.
- Increases our sense of sustainability.
- Helps make us kinder and more caring.
- Promotes understanding of interconnectivity of all life.
- Strengthens our connection between personal actions and consequences.
- Helps us connect with our basic values.
- Helps us establish our priorities.
- Offers natural, health promoting sounds.
- Provides us with optimal air quality.
- Offers visually stimulating landscapes.
- Fosters a sense of natural joy.
- Offers lots of opportunity for natural physical activity.
- Improves our sense of living in balance.
- Reduces feelings of distress and agitation.
- Helps us live connected to nature’s rhythms.
- Enhances our sense of humility.
- Promotes states of meditation and stillness.
- Offers us natural silence.
- Reduces information overload.
- Helps overcome grief and trauma.
- Reduces selfishness.
- Offers us guidance for our life.
- Optimizes brain function.
- Helps us open our heart.
- Helps us open our mind.
- Promotes optimal mind, body and spirit well-being.
Through embracing the divinity of the Earth and surrendering to the will of nature, the heart of truth and unconditional love can be found.
Laura Magdalene Eisenhower
Whether you choose to live amidst natural surroundings, vacation in natural areas, visit a local park, or personal backyard, every connection with nature counts. Of course the more we take in natural surroundings, the more we benefit. Many of the benefits above compound each other, where one has a natural progression of leading to another. The power for deep personal healing, evolution and transformation lies with us.
Allow nature to be your refuge; your teacher; your friend; your therapist. Befriend her, get to know her, fall in love with her—all over again. We fear and destroy that which we do not understand. We cherish and appreciate that which we love. These two sides offer us understanding about the two main relationships people on our planet have with nature. As we integrate ourselves with nature—our fundamental HOME—we become more WHOLE. We become more effective human beings. We become more responsible stewards of the Earth. We positively enrich the collective consciousness. We benefit; our planet benefits. At a time in the history of humanity where so much chaos and negativity seems to blanket the planet, there is a solution for us to wake-up, come together and come HOME. The cohesive energies of nature effortlessly lead the way.
Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.
Whether it is spring, summer, autumn or winter, make a conscious connection with nature daily. Nature should not have to be scheduled into our lives, it should be a natural part of our lives. But we all have to start somewhere, so start wherever you can to increase the amount of time you spend in nature. Whenever you have the opportunity to choose your task, activity or experience, choose nature. Our modern, man-made world is noisy, constantly competing for our attention, dispersing our focus and offering constant distractions. It lures us in with false promises and illusions of some future-derived happiness. But it is not in the shopping experience, Internet or TV experience, or gossiping experience that you will find authentic joy and inner peace. It is in nature. True happiness cannot be purchased, it can only be created by you, from within you, and nature offers us the perfect landscape to engage in for this creation.
Whatever healing, growth or guidance you seek, know that nature is always there for you. She is ready to listen, ready to speak, ready to heal and love you. Allow yourself to be immersed in her warm embrace, her acceptance of you, and her unconditional love for you.